Yoga poses for weight loss
Yoga poses for weight loss: Yoga plays a crucial role in dealing with obesity. The techniques of yoga affect the endocrine glands, internal organs, mind, brain and many other factors relating to the complex of body-mind.
There are millions today in all the age groups facing the obesity issue. This is across the globe and is viewed as a serious health hazard. Obesity is due to sedentary and lazy lifestyle. Actually, with obesity, the body becomes weak and the lifespan decreases. This is because the buttocks bones, spinal column, and knees become brittle and have adverse health effects resulting in more health problems such as sleep apnea, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis and cancer of certain types.
Yoga, the word is derived from ‘Yug’ the Sanskrit word that refers to the union of individual and the universal consciousness. Yoga is an ancient exercise form ensuring yoga for weight loss and is regarded as a holistic practice. Yoga is a science relating to well-being, integrating soul, body and mind tuning. It offers a physical, mental and spiritual benefit that is regarded to be ideal for weight loss.
Overweight people experience high blood pressure and also heart-related diseases. The risk is more as they are unable to lose weight. Losing weight is easier said and not done, a universal truth. It is essential to get rid of the flab that sticks to the body parts. If you wish to reduce weight it is like driving uphill and you must do it without support. There is a need for continuous efforts. There may be times when you are exasperated and your enthusiasm feels like an end, but this is the time again you must concentrate on yoga to calm your mind and to gain focus.
Yoga is intended to calm mind but is a great way to drop weight and get in shape. Here are some postures to assist in lowering your anxiety. Remember, these are yoga for weight loss postures that also help in curing other side effects such as back pain or lack of sleep. It requires holding each posture initially may be for hardly15-20 seconds, but with practice, you can hold the posture for long seconds and also a minute. The yoga practices always have a do it again practice, which means if you do it one side, you must repeat the same on the opposite side. To begin with:
Boat Pose ( naukasana) Yoga for Weight Loss
This yoga for weight loss will show you how while practicing this pose your entire body takes a boat shape. This helps sugar level maintenance and blood circulation, besides strengthening liver, lungs, and pancreas.
- Lie on your back with arms at your side.
- Relax breathing normally and lift your legs above the ground.
- Keep it straight; raise your upper body to touch legs with hands.
- Maintain 45 degrees angle.
- Hold this posture for 10- 12 seconds initially and then increase.
- Exhale slowly and come to the starting position.
- Daily 3-4 repetitions, do not overdo.
People with low or high blood pressure, arthritis, joint pain in hip, migraine, severe headache, ulcer and hernia should refrain from this practice. Pregnant women also must not practice this yoga pose.
- Reduces belly fat and so naturally enjoy weight loss
- Improve digestion
- Abdominal muscles strengthen
- Regulates, liver, lungs, and pancreas function
- Improves function of thyroids, kidney and prostate glands
Mountain Pose (Tadasana) For Yoga for Weight Loss
This Tadasana pose can be done in standing and suspine position, based on your comfort levels. It is about being in level, straight, balanced or upright.
Steps ( standing position):
- Stand on the ground straight and maintain a small gap between your feet.
- Breathe deeply, raise your arms and interlock them up.
- Raise your heels and come on toes
- Feel the stretch; maintain this pose with slow breathing.
- Come to the original position and exhale slowly.
- Perform this as per your desire, relaxing in between.
Steps (Suspine Position)
- Lie on the floor to your back. Keep hands by the side, palms downwards.
- Raise both arms upwards and place behind your head.
- Your arms should face upwards parallel to each other.
- Stretch your feet and hands in opposite direction.
- Stay straight. Exhale and bring hands down.
- Repeat 4 times a day.
People suffering from headaches, insomnia, and low blood pressure may consult the yoga instructor and then practice. Avoid during pregnancy.
- Increases height
- Activates nerves
- Strengthens heart and vertebral column
- Provides lungs expansion
- Regulates menstrual cycle and regulates weight
Bow Pose ( Dhanurasana) for Yoga for Weight Loss
In this pose, both halves of your body are raised and are bend as a bow. Your arms and hands pull your legs and trunk forming a curve. The spine elasticity is maintained, back muscles are tones, increases vitality and posture is improved.
- Lie on the ground on your stomach
- Hold your feet with hands taking a back bend like a bow
- Pull your feet slowly as much as possible.
- Look straight, keep pose steady, concentrate on your breath.
- Count 20 and exhale gently, bringing your chest to the ground with legs and relax.
People suffering from back pain, migraine, headache, high blood pressure or abdomen surgery must not practice. Pregnant ladies and during periods avoid this pose.
- Strengthens abdomen and back simultaneously
- Improves stomach disorders
- Regulates pancreas and increases appetite
- Reduces belly area fat and supports weight loss
- Alleviates hunchback
Plow Pose (Halasana) for Yoga for Weight Loss
Halasana is an advanced yoga pose offering lots of benefits. It rejuvenates from inside and makes one healthy. It helps men in correcting the semen and sexual related problems effectively.
- Lie flat down or on the yoga mat, join legs
- Raise legs to 90 degree
- Raise legs and waist, thrust palms, bend forward curve your back and rest legs above head on the floor.
- Place on the floor the big toes and maintain straight legs.
- Balance your weight on the shoulder, shift hands overhead, hold the head, join fingers and relax your elbows.
- Maintain this position to count 100.
- Release fingers, take thumb toe gently and get your legs and body to the floor back.
- Practice 2 rounds and do it relaxingly.
People with high blood pressure, spondylitis and neck pain avoid trying this pose. Pregnant women also must keep away from this asana.
- Reduces body and belly fat, thus there is weight loss
- Makes backbone flexible
- Improves memory power
Lion Pose( Simhasana) for Yoga for Weight Loss
This posture resembles a lion seated. It stimulates the skinny muscle inside your throat front. This stops throat drooping with age and increases confidence levels.
- Sit spreading your knees, keep the spine straight
- Keep your hands facing backward between your legs
- Inhale and push your tongue out. Look between eyebrows and exhale.
- Roar like a lion and exhale, and hold for 20 to 30 seconds
- Repeat 4 to 6 times this process
- After the pose, gulp saliva and lightly massage your throat
- Slowly inhale after 20 seconds.
People with a knee injury can perform the same pose in sitting position like lotus pose or even in standing, keeping palms rested on your waist and keep feet wide apart.
- Cures bad breathe
- Opens respiratory tract
- Best for eyes, face, throat, and tongue
- Strengthens hands and fingers
- Back pain relief
Crocodile Pose ( Makarasana)for Yoga for Weight Loss
This pose resembles Crocodile while resting keeping neck and face above water. Makarasana stretches muscles of legs, rear, buttocks, and back of legs and arms. This posture cuts the stress at the back and improves body posture.
- Lie on your stomach
- Join elbows and place palms under the chin
- Lift chest up, keep legs and elbows together
- Inhale, fold one leg and then both legs
- Ankles should touch hips
- Exhale keeping feet straight and head steady.
- Repeat 20 to 25 times.
People with the knee injury or serious back pain avoid this pose. Neck injury also need not try this. Pregnant women avoid this pose.
- Spine-related problems relief
- Knee pain, asthma, and lungs related issues will find this useful
- Muscles of hips and legs stretch, so extra weight gets reduced
Staff pose ( Dandakasana)for Yoga for Weight Loss
This is a simple asana for all age groups. Practice this daily it offers a lot of strength to lower back. Your upper body stays erect and relaxed, while your pelvis and hips are strengthened.
- Sit with back straight and legs extended on the ground. Your legs and feet should be parallel.
- Press the sitting bones and take your head crown to the ceiling and straighten your spine.
- Flex your feet, press your heels.
- Keep your palms close to your hips for supporting your spine and slowly silent your shoulders down. Maintain straight position of your body and stay relaxed.
- Ground lower half to the ground and relax your legs.
- Hold for 20 to 30 seconds this pose.
- Learn to sit properly.
- Increases hips and pelvis flexibility
- Lower back posture improves and so the flab is reduced
Downward facing dog pose( Adho mukha svanasana)for Yoga for Weight Loss
This posture is like the pose of a dog facing downward. Perform on a mat and can be practiced in standing postures. Also, warm up your muscles.
- Keep knees beneath hips and hands before your shoulders.
- Spread palms out and forefingers parallel.
- Lift knees from the floor as you exhale.
- Bend your knees a little and lift heels from the floor.
- Stretch tailbone from your pelvis and press to the pubis
- Raise your sitting bones towards the roof and take your legs into the crotch.
- Exhale and push back your thighs highest point and heel should extent on the ground.
- Keep your knees straight
- Thighs firm and pelvis front tight.
- Brace your arms, pressing index finger on the floor
- Keep shoulder bones firm; lift yourself from the forefinger bases regions.
- Maintain your head between arms
For leaving this pose, twist your knees, breathe out and stop in Balasana (Child Pose), take rest for a minute and do this pose 5 times.
People suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, diarrhea, headache or blood pressure avoid this pose. Even chronic injury to hips, arms, back, and shoulders cannot practice this pose.
- Relieves back pain
- Reduces depression and anxiety, thus weight gets reduced
- Tones body muscles
- Useful for fatigue, headache, and insomnia
- Strengthens feet, legs, arms, and shoulders
Tips to bear in mind
- Doing yoga regularly: Doing yoga regularly and knowing how to lose weight is mandatory to support weight loss, but in case you do not follow it regularly, you cannot see results.
- There is a need to be very patient to know how to lose weight fast in case you wish to get best results. The yoga is not any magical pose, so be patient and do not anticipate immediate results to lose weight.
- If you consider being overweight, the best option is to couple yoga with the gym as a routine. It will prove to be the right choice of workouts to lose weight.
- Develop best eating habits. This is essential to lose weight. Good habits are to avoid soft drinks and junk food, no skipping meals or overeating, avoid chatting or TV watching while eating. Fat burning yoga poses are useful only when you have control on your eating and drinking patterns. You are expected to give up a lot of food that you may crave for like fast foods and soft drinks. The sugar addition in any form must be restricted to avoid adding calories and weight.
- Consider outdoor activities as they help in losing fat and clear your doubts if any that can you lose weight with yoga. Go out on weekends and consider activities such as bicycling and hiking.