Iyengar yoga poses are also a form of Hatha yoga pose. In this pose, the props usage is common. This is a yoga discipline that is designed to develop flexibility, strength, awareness and stability. These poses can be held for longer periods and are also therapeutic for certain health conditions. The Iyengar yoga is based on yoga eight limbs. Bellur Krishnamachar Sundararaja Iyengar who is known as B.K.S. Iyengar created this yoga and trained his yoga style to people.
Uniqueness of Iyengar yoga poses
Iyengar yoga is unique and features pranayama and asana emphasizing on props usage, timing, planned sequencing and precision in alignment.
Iyengar yoga poses are appropriate for individuals who are new to the yoga poses and have difficulty in performing it. They may be finding the postures and asanas challenging. This yoga discipline adds props so that there is ease in practicing the poses. These props assist in minimizing the risks of injury or strain, thereby making the poses simpler for the young and also the old.
Iyengar yoga poses are also suitable for ill, elderly, injured or weak people. They can enjoy various benefits of each posture, while exerting less muscular effort. The most used props in the iyengar yoga are the:
- Foam blocks
- Resistance bands
- Wooden blocks
Besides the specific props use, iyengar yoga promotes and helps participants in discovering poses so that it elevates bodies and minds. Any misalignment or error while practicing poses is immediately corrected by a trainer. Iyengar poses helps a range of participants and there is benefit of the ancient yoga values. The health benefits are many that people may enjoy the iyengar yoga with regular practice. However, it is very important before taking and practice yoga consult your doctor or health physician.
Iyengar yoga poses for beginners
Iyengar yoga positions are also important as it goes with all other styles. The beginners must take proper guidance from a certified instructor. She or he can understand the required modifications to be done and the ways to prevent injury.
- Paschimottasana (Sitting forward bend): This iyengar yoga pose helps stretching your back and hamstrings. Do not force the stretch without any support, use bolsters or pillows to stay at ease into this posture. You may use the props less, once you build knowledge and flexibility of the posture.
- Adho Mukha Virasana(Hero Pose Downward Facing): This is a simple posture to move from the Hero Pose. It is really comfortable to lie on a bolster or a long cushion and to enjoy the additional pillows as it allows reducing strain on back muscles and tight thighs.
- Uttanasana (Standing forward bend): This posture helps releasing the hamstring and also in clearing the mind. This iyengar style yoga pose can be done using yoga blocks as well, thus it proves yoga can be done using props. However, you must take the help of a trained instructor so that you do not cause any injury.
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Tadasana is a well-known pose and the easiest for beginners. This iyengar yoga pose features arm variations. It helps in centering the body and mind and in helping extending breath. In fact, performers of this yoga pose use strap so that arm positioning is perfect.
- Supta Baddha Konasana: This Iyengar yoga pose helps in opening the groins and hips, tempering blood pressure and in relieving menstrual pain. You may use folded blankets and several bolsters behind you as a support. In fact placing blocks under knees is equally helpful.
- Savasana: This is a reclining corpse pose and needs no props. However, if you are really comfortable resting on a bolster such that you place a pillow under the head. You may consider this pose, it is relaxing.
Caution regarding Iyengar yoga poses
There are numerous iyengar yoga poses and the popularly practiced yoga exercises are in the gentlest form for beginners. However, when you wish to begin with yoga exercises, consult your doctor or a regular health physician and perform the practice that suits you without causing any sort of stress or pressure.
Search related terms-
iyengar yoga poses sequence,iyengar yoga poses names,iyengar yoga poses for beginners,iyengar yoga benefits,what is iyengar yoga,iyengar yoga sequence,iyengar yoga poses